MediaTek is known for its mid-range chipsets for smartphones. The company has recently presented two new smartphone chipsets – Helio G90 and Helio G90T. These are twin units that offer the same features, but the “T” version will be able to offer slightly higher performance.
MediaTek’s new chipsets are based on the 12 nm FinFET lithographic process and solutions designed by ARM Holdings. Helio G90 and G90T are composed of:
- two efficient Cortex-A76 cores with an enlarged L3 cache with speeds up to 2.05 GHz;
- six energy-saving Cortex-A55 cores;
- ARM Mali-G76 (3EEMC4) graphics up to 800 MHz.
The configuration used is designed to provide excellent performance for games such as Fortnite, PUBG Mobile, and other demanding titles. But this is just the beginning.
The Helio G90 and G90T support up to 10GB of LPDDR4X DRAM (up to 2133 MHz) and have improved Artificial Intelligence support. The CPU, GPU and APU used are designed to deliver a performance level of 1 TMAC/s for SI algorithm processing.
Helio G90 with HyperEngine for gaming
The key highlight of the Helio G90 line is HyperEngine technology, which hides a powerful set of features to optimize smartphone gaming performance based on artificial intelligence.
HyperEngine MediaTek consists of:
- Intelligent Network Prediction Engine – a function that manages the network connection, thanks to which it is possible to improve the stability of the connection by the simultaneous use of cellular network and Wi-Fi;
- Support for two Wi-Fi networks – the simultaneous use of two bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), which improves bandwidth and connection stability (a similar solution was presented by OPPO and vivo);
- Call and Notification Mute – automatically rejects calls and notifications while playing, so system messages don’t interrupt the gameplay;
- Rapid Response Engine – improves the touch response time of the panel (reduces delays);
- Improved image quality – added support for HDR10 (10-bit color depth) and improved image reproduction (higher contrast, sharpness, and detail);
- Intelligent performance management – automatically optimizes system performance to match title requirements while maintaining optimal power consumption.
All of these solutions are designed to improve gaming comfort significantly. Note, however, that the smartphone itself must first be equipped with an HDR support panel to take full advantage of the image enhancement function during gaming.
Helio G90 also for fans of photography
The new MediaTek is also designed to perform well in the photography field. The new chipsets support:
- individual cameras with sensors up to 64 Mpix;
- double cameras with sensors up to 24 Mpix + 16 Mpix;
- triple and quad camera modules;
- video recording at speeds up to 240 fps.
Helio G90 and G90T chipsets support data linking functions from adjacent pixels in poor lighting conditions. Good performance in the SI field, on the other hand, is designed to ensure fast and efficient machine learning facial detection. MediaTek has also added a hardware engine that is responsible for depth detection.
The company also provided a category 12 LTE modem (support for 4×4 MIMO, 3 x CA or TAS technology) and Dual SIM mode with support for two 4G networks. The listening mode is the icing on the cake, with support of more than one awakening word. This is to enable the simultaneous use of different voice assistants (such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alex).
Designed for gamers, the MediaTek Helio G90 and Helio G90T are not in direct competition with the flagship Snapdragon 855 Plus. These chips are designed for mid- to high-end and mid-priced smartphones that will compete mainly with the Snapdragons 730 and 730G.
MediaTek Helio G90T vs SnapDragon 730 performance
MediaTek Helio G90T vs SnapDragon 730 gaming
Summing up, considering that this is a mid-range chipset MediaTek Helio G90T provides interesting gaming features and really good performance which according to presented benchmarks is much better than competitive SnapDragon 730G. Helio G90T was already implemented by Xiaomi’s brand Redmi and can be found in the newly released smartphones Redmi Note 8 and Note 8 Pro.
Very good parameters for a mid-range chipset
HyperEngine technology with interesting gaming features
Support for HDR10
Ultra-fast memory and great AI performance
Cannot compete with Snapdragon 855 Plus or Kirin 980