More and more people have started to work remotely to minimize the risk of infection and take care of their own safety. There is a greater need for meetings and presentations over the Internet, so as well for tools that allow us to conduct such meetings and conferences. Zoom is an intuitive tool that allows you to conduct online meetings, webinars, and video conferences from anywhere in the world.
Advantages of the Zoom video conferencing app:
- Screen-sharing option – allows you to make effective presentations. Recording of webinars/presentations/meetings.
- Free version – one to one meetings with unlimited time. Meetings for groups from 3 to 100 people can be held for up to 40 minutes. It also has some additional features, such as the ability to change the background or sharing screen for multiple participants at the same time.
- Three paid plans: starting from $14.99, which allow conducting group meetings of longer length and add additional features.
How to start using Zoom?
1. Create your Zoom account
First, go to https://zoom.us/ and click Sign up, it’s free button in the top right corner.
Enter your date of birth
and email address (you can also use personal email or Google to sign in)
You will get an email confirmation with a link yo activate your account. Click the Activate Account button in your email.
Now enter your name and password for your account.
When this is done, you can invite your friends to create accounts as well (not necessary if you will be setting up the meetings). So for the purpose of this tutorial, let’s skip it.
You will be welcomed with your personal meeting URL, and you can start a meeting right away. But let’s go to your account to see how you can do it every time. Click Go ty Mu Account.
2. Schedule your first Zoom meeting
In the sidebar on the right, select Meetings, and them Schedule a New Meeting.
You will see a screen where you can define details for your meeting:
- meeting name and description,
- start time and duration,
- use your personal ID or generate one for this meeting,
- enable/disable password requirement to participants to join,
- enable video camera on start by default,
- enable participants to join before you (host) will start the meeting
After you set up all the details. Click Save.
That’s all! You created your first meeting.
You will see a page with your meeting details. From here, you can also Start the meeting.
3. How to invite participants to Zoom meetings?
1) First method. You can use the Add to calendar option. This will add the meeting to your calendar, Save. And then when it’s already showing in your agenda, right-click and select Invite Attendees. This will let you forward the invitation via email to whoever you want
2) Second method. On the meeting page, you have Join URL, you can click on Copy the invitation. This will open a pop-up with all your meeting’s details (including the URL and password), which you can share will the people you want to join.
4. How to use Zoom application?
When you start a meeting using Start this meeting button, you will get a prompt to download the application. Download and install the application to start the meeting.
When the application opens, you will see a window with a sum-up of your meeting details and menu bar on the bottom, with buttons to interact with your audience.
What are the available actions in the menu:
- Mute/Unmute: This allows you to mute or unmute your microphone.
- Start/Stop Video: This allows you to start or stop your own video.
- Invite: Allows you to send meeting invites from the app.
- Manage Participants: Opens the window to manage participants and invite others to join the meeting.
- Share Screen: Start sharing your screen. You will be able to select the desktop or application you want to share. When you are screen sharing, the controls will appear at the top of your screen, but you can drag it to another location.
- Chat: Access the chat window to chat with the participants.
- Record: Start or stop a cloud or local recording.